Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"..., I make lists. constantly."

Right, so like some people who walk their dog, smoke cigarettes, eat chocolate mousse cake, and/or chat on telephones, I make lists. constantly. I mean to say that people find comfort in some things, and I find comfort in other things*. 

So, lists. It's not that I just like writing them (although I do), but something about the way I tend to process information in my head is very similar. Which makes me think that the physical act of writing a list is actually an effective method of organizing my thoughts. 

I think the problem lies in the fact that the lists being formulated in my head don't tend to follow a linear format, and the many lists that happen through the course of a day become a mashed up heap of thought-items that do not follow any hierarchy. 

Hence why tangible lists become organizational and comforting.

Titles of lists I made today:
- To Do list as of 12.36 pm
- List of criteria for desk, year 3
- List of items that must not remain at home tomorrow
- List of costs for Core design item
- List of possible design strategies for desk 
- Revised To Do list as of 7.12 pm
- List of people I would like to (still) know at age 35-45**
- List of people I enjoy in my life at this moment (non hierarchical)**

and

- List of things to happen this summer**
- Go to alaska, and hurry back.
- Gain many knowledges on the following subjects (a sublist, no doubt)
- Bookbinding
- 3d CAD software
- Origami Tessellations, paper forms
- Veneer/Ply mold making
- Biology
- inDesign (beyond surface knowledge)
- Beach + Tan
- Documentation and Design of an online portfolio
- Find a new place to live
- Spend time with people I like
(Non Hierarchical) 



*not to say I haven't sampled other people's 'things'.

**novelty lists that proved the function of avoiding many homework items on cue.


No comments: