Sunday, February 8, 2009

Interface design, a satisfying area of design.

So, the infographic is done, and incase you the reader have no clue of the infographic, it doesn't matter, because it's only an obstacle in my way of me accomplishing other more high-priority-to-making-my-life-awesome things.
Namely, my exchange portfolio. The portfolio in itself is basically already in existence, all my pieces that are 'in' the portfolio are created, and all that is left is to document and display these pieces of work in what I get excited calling an "interface". I can't exactly explain why, but the idea of creating a format of displaying all of my work in a coherent and accumulated.. interface, damn that's the only word I've got.. is very satisfying to think about. 
The interface is hopefully going to take form as a flash interactive applet. If in a perfect universe where time didn't really have a lever in any of my undertakings, it would have a motion introduction, and then a print-layout style composition that could be opened and expanded to show more or less detail by clicking and moving. This would be ideal because I could design a simple intuitive layout that showcases the finished project more than any other element of my design process, and then aspects such as ideation and process could be explored at request of the person viewing. In my mind this is extremely pleasing. 
My realistic hopes are really just to be able to have the best of both worlds: so, a simplistic print layout that unfolds and expands through digital means. This being the only basis behind my decision to submit a digital format portfolio.
Actually, this description of my 'interface' sounds alot like a website, but that isn't really my intention because I want it to be navigated the same way by every viewer, like a book, not so much as a click-here-click-there website.

I could totally see how this could bore the hell out of someone. Honestly though, I might rank Interface design somewhere near the smell of gasoline or long walks on the beach.

No comments: